Bleach kills bacteria, right? Would you drink bleach to cure a bacterial infection? No, of course not – that’s crazy!! (Not to mention extremely dangerous and life threatening!) A trip to a licensed, qualified doctor and a prescription is more like it! Think of this analogy next time you consider pouring liquid or powdered drain cleaners/openers down your pipes. There is NO engineering marvel behind most of these products! Many are just made up of caustic & corrosive acids and then placed inside a container with pretty pictures of sparkling clean pipes. Take it from a licensed, experienced plumber that has witnessed years of destruction caused by these “over the counter” products. The pictures below are probably what your drain pipes look like post “treatment” with these so-called liquid drain “cleaners.”
Drains clog over time similar to how an artery in a heart might. See below:
There’s no replacement for a little “elbow-grease,” proper drain cleaning equipment and a technician trained on how to use it. The build-up inside the drain must be physically removed and/or cleaned-out by mechanical means (cabled or snaked). Pouring acid into the drain may “burn” a small opening and cause the drain to flow again – However the results are temporary (at best!) and the damage is irreversible. Always hire a licensed, qualified, professional plumber to inspect and correctly clean your drains & pipes. Get it done right the first time!